Just thinking about College Football. All the great programs and traditions. The rivalries, players and characters that make up the history. Makes it hard to argue that there is a better sport. The elite programs all have tradition, rivalries, history, memorable games, characters, and players. In trying to get a current ranking of programs the following five factors were considered: (1)Tradition and history, (2)Historical success, (3)Success for this decade, (4)Rivalries, (5) Players, Coaches, and Characters. Here's my current top ten with a few honorable mentions. Just an opinion - let's hear your thoughts.
1. USC - Richer history noses out Florida.
2. Florida - Most successful program this decade with a chance to make it a no brainer.
3. Texas - Earl Campbell, Vince Young, Oklahoma rivalry.
4. Ohio State - Archie Griffen, Woody, Michigan rivalry, Decade most teams can't hope for.
5. LSU - on a roll this decade, great SEC rivalries.
6. Oklahoma - Switzer, Simms, Texas and Nebraska rivalries.
7. Penn State - Joe Pa, reemerging this past few years.
8. Miami - A little off recently, but count on them coming back, Kosar, Blades, Jimmy Johnson.
9. Alabama - The Bear, Namath, Auburn.
10. Georgia - Walker, Dooley, The Hedges.
11. Notre Dame - Down decade - maybe two - but respectable, History and Tradition are tops, Almost every game is Rivalry.
12. Florida State - Bowden, Wide Right, Ward, Florida and Miami Rivalries.
Honorable Mention (no order):
Auburn - Bo, Alabama.
Michigan - Bo, Ohio State, they will be back.
Nebraska - Rozier, Osborn, determined to get back to what they were, and they will.
Utah - New - remember Miami, Florida, and Florida State 30 years ago?